09 December, 2011

I’m not addicted; I just can’t live without it

How often do you have to do something to be addicted? Some things you do repeatedly every day: eat, sleep and breathe for example, but no-one tells you off for being addicted to them (unless you've got a bit of a problem). So surely doing something once or twice a day is okay, right? I’m talking about drinking coffee of course.

It’s not that I need it; it just makes me a better person when I have it. It brings out the best in me! Like a food supplement, or Photoshop. I realised this most starkly yesterday afternoon when I got home from work after an epic four hour shift and had a turbo session to do. To say I was lacking in motivation would be an understatement. I was on the verge of getting into bed for an early night at 3:15pm when my conscience kicked in.

“Okay, this is what I’ve got a coach for; must follow orders, must get on bike, must do pedalling…”

(cheeky pic courtesy of wikipedia)
But first, I needed a little help from my bestest fwend, Mr Caffeine. We’ve been through a lot have me and caffeine. He’s been with me at the end of tough stage races, at the crack of dawn getting ready for work or a time trial (back when I did far too many of them!), or just of an afternoon when I’ve needed a little treat. He’s been good to me and in return I’ve been faithful. No tea in this household thank you very much, especially not that green stuff! Where’s the high in that?

So I had a nice sit down, flicked through ‘Hello’ (obviously not mine, just happened to be on the table) and enjoyed a coffee. Then I dragged myself onto the turbo and nailed the session. It was great! I’m not saying it was easy by any means, but with my ally caffeine I’m genuinely amazed at what I can achieve.

I don’t think I’d be where I am today without coffee. I probably wouldn’t have got a degree, or a cycling career. Probably wouldn’t even have the energy to type these words (one handed obviously, the other hand nursing a latte). I’m not addicted though! I just enjoy coffee, as a friend.

In fact the similarities to a relationship are becoming frighteningly real. I spend a lot of time thinking about when I’ll next be with coffee. I enjoy the smell, the taste, and the experience of coffee. We don’t even need to share words now; we just sit together and enjoy each other’s company.

However I think I may have gone too far when I was witnessed in the supermarket saying: “Oh I’ve missed you so much darling, once you were gone I realised how much I need you!” whilst cradling a packet of Ethiopian Arabica.



That’s normal right?

No comments :

Post a Comment